We're finishing up the birth announcement today - the physical version that we'll send out via USPS. Lisa had fun putting it together, and we've had a lot of fun capturing memories during these first weeks to help us savor the sweet beginnings of our life with Gabriella, and someday share the photos and writings with her so she'll understand how much love was waiting for her when she arrived in our arms so early in the morning on March 6, 2008.
As a father I have been increasingly convicted of the necessity to be deliberate in raising our children. Really, as parents we must be deliberate in setting goals for our children's values and loyalties. Of course, these goals mean little without a plan for instilling said virtues, so the work has only just begun. For me, one step along this path is to dig into and understand the promises God has given us in His Word, and selecting one of those to anchor Gabriella's life and upbringing in. So far I've found these:
Deuteronomy 7:9 ~ Jeremiah 29:11 ~ Psalm 91:10 ~ Matthew 19:13-15
Jeremiah 29:11-13 is taken from God' communication (through Jeremiah) to the exiles Nebuchadnezzar took from Jerusalem to Babylon. I recommend reading chapter 29 in it's entirety, as it provides some insight into the way in which God's plans and commands don't necessarily fall in line with what WE might choose to do. The "turn the other cheek" adage is vividly illustrated as he commands the Israelites to work and pray for Babylon's well-being.
[from the NIV]
This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Though this was originally communicated to the Israelites in the context of their Babylonian exile, I pray that Gabriella will be inspired, led and instructed by the promise and admonition in verses 11-13.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment