This morning I started a new Beth Moore bible study. We are doing the study, "Living Beyond Yourself" based on the fruits of the spirit. It is a study I had done three years or so ago (which I date by the sweet photo of Josiah I found stuck in the book), and I am excited to do it again. As I was flipping through the pages I saw some writing on one of the edges. It said Gabrielle Charis and Gabrielle Grace, Rayna Grace written to the side of the definition below. At this point, we were just daydreaming of the possibility of another baby, hoping just a bit that it might be a girl. That particular day's study was on Grace, and said the Greek word for grace is charis, which means:
"That which causes joy, pleasure, gratification, favor, acceptance, for a kindness granted or desired, a benefit, thanks, gratitude. A favor done without expectation of return; the absolutely free expression of the loving kindness of God to men finding its only motive in the bounty and benevolence of the Giver; unearned and unmerited favor. God's grace affects man's sinfulness and not only forgives the repentant sinner, but brings joy and thankfulness to him. It changes the individual to a new creature without destroying his individuality."
This beautiful definition gives me goosebumps. I feel so incredibly blessed to have seen the example of grace lived out through my Grandma Charis. Now to have this little bundle of joy, our Gabriella Grace, is such a privilege. Seeing her name on the page today reminds me of how richly God has blessed us!
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment