Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Poor puppy

I knew that getting a puppy would teach responsibility, but now I see it teaching compassion, selflessness, and thoughtfulness. Nyla was spayed yesterday. It was a traumatizing experience for her, and for all of us as well. We were not prepared for how miserable she would be afterward. To see her hurting, hearing sharp yelps of pain, and the sad look as she wears "the cone of shame" on her head was more than we could bear.

Ben sat with her for hours gently stroking her back talking sweetly to her and crying at her pain last night.

Gabriella and Josiah cuddled her up with all her buddies in her kennel and all of their favorite animals and blankets lined up around her looking into her kennel to comfort her. Josiah also found a stuffed animal of his in need of repair and brought him to me (the vet) for repairs.

Now we are tiptoeing around the house so we don't the sleeping puppy that kept us up all night.

We pray you sleep soundly sweet Nyla and wake feeling much better. We look forward to cuddles, walks and play when you feel better. Now rest little one.......

1 comment:

pamom60 said...

I just read this blog for the first time. What a touching story. Yes, your children certainly learned another lesson in compassion as they helped make Nyla more comfortable. I have grown to love your little Nyla; she doesn't nibble on my toes much anymore...maybe she has developed a better sense of smell.
Love, Mom