Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gabriella vs. the hearth


This morning the kids decided to turn our living room into a swimming pool using the couch cushions. They used the seat cushions to make a wall, and the backs to be the water. They boys had just climbed on the couch and dove onto the cushions and I was telling Ruth how glad I was they were being so creative and including their sister. Gabriella climbs up onto the arm of the couch and dives the wrong direction - into the fireplace hearth. I watched it happen from the kitchen and am still not sure if she was trying to turn around or if she was finding a new diving board. She hit the brick in just a way to create a small Y shaped cut with a dented center along her hairline. I was thankful that Ruth was there as she stayed very calm and jumped in to clean the cut and apply pressure.
We were able to get in to see our regular doctor right away. By the time we arrived she was chipper and was sure she was all better and ready to play. They decided just one compound stitch to connect the three sections was all that was needed. The nurse put some numbing medicine on the spot for twenty minutes and wrapped her head in gauze. She colored and looked at the fish and made friends with the kids in the waiting room who all had lots of questions about her "pretty headband". When it was time for the stitches she laid so still for the doctor with a little tear running down her cheek and a whimper until they were done. I am thankful for her braveness and for the sweet nurse and kind doctor who were so amazing with her.
Please keep us in your prayers this week as we try to slow her down a bit and keep her from bonking her head while the stitches are healing.

2 comments:

dkamfam said...

Oh no! I am so glad that it only took one stitch and she seems to be bouncing back ok. Will definitely pray for the slowing down. That's a tough one! Hope mommy is doing ok, too :)

s as in tset said...

Ewww...my teeth clenched when I heard fireplace. :( Glad she's the spunky type and doing well.